Blog Banter 21: Friggin' Low Sec

Welcome to the twenty-first installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!





This month topic comes to us from @ZoneGhost who a few month ago asked "Is Low Sec the forgotten part of EVE Online?" Is it? I'd like us to explore this even further. Is Low Sec being treated differently by CCP Games than Null Sec (Zero-Zero) or Empire space is? Can one successfully make a living in these unsecured systems where neither Alliance nor Concord roam to enforce their laws? What's needed? Or is everything fine as it is?






Why does low security space suck?  Because it is full of Pirates, Scammers and Scum!  Is this CCP's fault?  Did they put the bottom dwellers there?  Did the creation of such space spawn, from the primordial ooze as it were, the classless masses of dope fiends, serial killers and back-stabbing scum bags of Eve?


I don't think so friends.


So is low sec forgotten?  C'mon, every pilot in Eve thinks about low sec space every single time they go anywhere.  Should I avoid those systems or fly thru them?  Gosh, should I set my navigator to "shortest route" or "safest route" - people think about low sec every time they fly.  So get over yourself low sec. We think about you, we just don't think very highly of you because you suck ballz.


Has CCP treated low sec differently than other sectors of space?  Uh, no.  CCP has ineffectively treated all sectors of space equally poorly.  Have you pirate scum ever tried to take Sov?  Or dealt with 400 man lagfests?  Have you actually been in Jita lately?  Oh, I forgot, you can't go there.  Except to hurriedly fly thru in your pod.  LOL.  Serves you right ya bastages!  (It's a good post when you can reference a little Johnny Dangerously, and if you don't know what that is look it up ya slacker!)  So no, whiner, CCP isn't treating you any worse or better than they are treating the rest of us.  So get off your high horse, before one of your friends steals it, and join the rest of us in reality.


Can someone make a living in low sec?  As long as you are a pirate, scammer or scum bag sure.  The rest of Eve can't make a living in low sec because you live there.  Just like a Neutral can't make a living in my home space because I will shoot him dead if he tries.  And just like a -10 pilot can't make a living in Jita, cause Concord'll blow him up if he tries.  It's called rules and you've pretty much created your own rules in low sec, so you have no one to blame but yourselves.  CCP gave you a blank slate - more so than Empire or Zero got - and this is what you've created.  So welcome to it.  Now stop whining.


What's needed?  Less rules in my humble opinion.  Less gate guns, less gate rules in general, so I can bring a gang of real soldiers into low sec and kill pirates, scammers and scum bags.  That would be fun.  The small gang world is dying in Eve, we all see it, so I suggest making low sec the playing field for the rest of us.  Open it up and let's go hunting.  I try that now and everyone hides, even when I'm solo, so let's work on that while we're at it.  Maybe bring bribes into the game, if I pay the bribe office in station a certain fee, all the hiding pirates in system glow a pinkish glow on my map and I can warp to them and keeel them.  I like it, make it happen.


Anyone that knows me knows I'm kidding of course.  Having a bit of fun at low sec's expense.  But in so doing, a bit of truth comes out doesn't it?  Personally, and I've posted about this, commented on it, and written on forums about it, low sec needs some love.  But so does every other region of space, so does every other aspect of this game.  Why should low sec be treated special?  I'd be amongst the happiest of people if my pirate, scammer and scum friends got some special love from CCP, but I hope they'd feel the same if zero space got some love from CCP.  Because it's broke too.


I don't live in low sec.  Sometimes I do like to go hunting there, for some variety.  I have many friends that live there and I wish them well, unless they are in local.  I fully support the efforts of those trying to get CCP to improve their game play.  I am 100% behind you and if I can help in some way I will.  But that is true of anyone that wants to help improve our game.  It needs it.


Enjoy these other people's thoughts:


Blog Banter 21 – Fish Heads and Baby Ruths
Low Sec = Wild West
Arr, Yer be talkin' bout me lowsec
Low Sec: I Wanna Talk to You
Making Low Sec Matter - Project kick-Off
In the Ghetto